Tuesday, February 28, 2017

In Defense of My Black Jesus

in a recent FB post, someone recently opposed the lyrics in bob marley’s song “three little birds.”

he literally wrote:

I love Bob Marley's music, I love his passion, I love his zest for life, I love his positive attitude, and I love a whole host of other great qualities the man possessed.
But with one of his most famous lyrics of all time, I must take issue.
While no doubt well-meaning - telling people:
"Don't worry about a thing;
Every little thing is gonna be all right"
is practically begging people, many of whom are already in a bad emotional place - to delude themselves into thinking that at some point in the future, everything will be perfect - that all of life's problems - ALL OF THEM - will melt away, and that life will no longer be real life - it will be a picture-perfect everlasting paradise. . . ”

. . .  & this is my response to his rant:

marley meant in order for good things to happen to you, you must not walk in fear. he was rastafarian, which includes a firm belief in christ, & those 3 birds were his spiritual confirmation that his activism was his path. he was a rebel, banned from his own country, shot at least twice that i can remember, & died from a cancer that started in his toe. he was a martyr for the cause. that said, i understand your point, but i think it's misdirected.

personally, i take issue with bobby mcfarin's "don't worry, be happy." he blatantly tells the audience it doesn't matter if the landlord is going to kick you out: "The landlord say your rent is late, he may have to litigate. . .Don't worry, (ha-ha ha-ha ha-ha) be happy (look at me, I'm happy" he also states that we are not to show feelings to others because they are uncomfortable with their own feelings, "'Cause when you're worried, your face will frown, and that will bring everybody down. . . So don't worry, be happy Don't worry, be happy now."

again, i see the truth you're spitting, but i offer you a new perspective as i've actually heard marley preach when i was 8, & i remember him explaining the 3 little birds song, which was released the year before (1977). he is, quite literally, one of my superheroes, a fellow activist, & lover of weed, fighter for equality, rabble-rouser, & smoker of the magickal herb.

that said i leave you with lyrics that i love, in the words of "the toyes:" "SMOKE TWO JOINTS IN TIME OF PEACE, & TWO IN TIMES OF WAR. I SMOKE TWO JOINTS BEFORE I SMOKE TWO JOINTS, & THEN I SMOKE TWO MORE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please fell free to comment. I write because it helps me sort through a thingI I publish my writing for discussion. Tell me what you think. Do you agree? Why? Why not?