Friday, April 1, 2016

Dear Stephen King

i just posted this to Mr. Stephen King's Facebook page:

you wanna know something, mr. king? ima tell you anyway. . .  i appreciate that i am old enough to remember having to write at a typewriter. i also remember having to manually print things on paper with things called pens & pencils (which i still do when i get a block of some kind--nothing "feels" better than expressing the feelings of writing as my heart/head flow down through my arms & out of my fingertips!!!-- it's like a magickal wand).

but, i am more appreciative of the keyboard, the laptop, the smartphone, & any audio device because of the aforementioned. i see young people today just clicking & keyboarding away. ..  publishing things online all by themselves w/o the annoyance & self-hatred rejection letters bring, & i think to myself that no one really has to suffer for the art anymore.

part of me is saddened by this. i can look back over my work & see where i was struggling in my life. i can look at your work & tell when you were happy, sad, angry, or even struggling with your demons (real, imaginary is all relative. . . they're all real in my opinion). will the authors of tomorrow really have to work for it? or will it all be simply regurgitation from the blood, sweat, & tears of authors from the past?

when i get blocked, your book "On Writing" calls to me. i have read it at least 37 times to date. i started ticking it when i bought my first copy. i am now on the 3rd paperback copy. . .  but i've transferred the tick marks. i reference it to others all the time. in short, thank you for being you, being real, being raw, being authentic. . .  you've inspired me like no other author, EVER!

ps:  The Thing of Evil is my fav thing online right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please fell free to comment. I write because it helps me sort through a thingI I publish my writing for discussion. Tell me what you think. Do you agree? Why? Why not?